- Always eat at least 5 times a day- 3 meals and 2 snacks works well
- Each meal or snack should consist of approx. 1 part fat, 2 parts protein and 3 parts carbs-in general….see the next bullet
- When you sit down to eat ask yourself this: What will I be doing in the next 3 hours? If you are going to take a nap go easy on the carbs. If you are going to workout have some more carbs…adjust your carbs based on your anticipated energy output. If you are sitting at your desk at work and will be buried for the next few hours eat some plain & delicious almonds…maybe even some Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and a touch of granola!
- Eliminate junk food-if it isn’t in the house you are not likely to eat it. Fast food, pastries and processed food mostly contain high amounts of fat, sugar and sodium….see bullet two-that is not what we want our meals to be made up of!
- Drink water! Eliminate soda or pop-whichever you call it and NO Diet is not ok!!!! Eliminate sugar and please for the love eliminate fake sugar!
- Fiber is your friend-you can find your friend in some of the following: apples, blackberries, oranges, carrots, lentils, sunflower seeds, cauliflower and oats to name a few-it is recommended that you consume 25 to 30 g per day of fiber. Ease into it adding a few grams at a time until your body gets used to this new fabulous “regular” routine of yours!
- Carbs-you need carbs-the best source of energy comes from carbs! You want to choose COMPLEX CARBS-whole grains, nuts, fruits, veggies, beans, oats, quinoa, yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and barley would be some to start adding into your life.
- Protein-the leaner the meat the better! Ground turkey, chicken, fish, lean beef, Greek yogurt, beans, cheese, milk, peanut butter or almond butter, egg whites, almonds, Whey protein supplement would be some to start adding into your life. ***immediately following your workout your body craves amino acids, please give it whey protein in the form of a shake if you can afford to add this to your life(whey protein is high in glutamine and branched-chain amino acids) ***
- Lastly, Fats-olive oil, avocados, nuts are my favorite 3 fats! Remember bullet two, each meal can be 1 part good fats!
You can live this life 80% to 90% of the time and be a healthy & happy human! If you are body building to compete or want more serious results you will have to up that percentage to 95 to 100% of the time clearly. I simply want to feel and look good, prevent disease and maintain my awesomeness…. so I follow this I would say 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time I don’t feel guilty or bad because I had a beer and a piece of pizza or a cupcake etc. because I know how I live my life and I know how good it feels to eat right and exercise regularly!!!