Hi guys! So last week I did a post on “5 days of different” where I told you how I was going to not eat meat and not drink coffee for 5 days just to see how I would feel, what it was like and how my body would react. Here in this post I am going to share with you some of the things I ate and what I learned from doing this little experiment!
Why I did it:
1. I have always been a meat eater. I have friends and clients that don’t eat meat and I wanted to see what it was like and get some different food ideas to share with them.
2.I have been drinking coffee pretty consistently for over 3 years now and I wanted to just stop to see if I was very dependent on it or not. Like as in can I have a good day without starting it with coffee-the answer is yes (thank goodness) 🙂
3. I wanted to get in the habit of eating even more fruits and veggies daily. I wanted to make certain 2 meals/snacks per day were based with fruit or veggies.
4. I wanted to lighten up and add more variety to my eating. I have been in full true muscle-building mode for over a year now and wanted to continue on that journey but with less of a meat/rice/pasta/potato focus.
What I learned:
1. I can survive without meat and there are PLENTY of other options out there protein wise to satisfy the body. I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to fill up enough without the meat but I was able to! I ate beans, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs and had protein powder either in a shake, smoothie or oatmeal most of the days. Plus making sure I was eating seeds, nuts, veggies and fruit through out the day I was pretty satisfied. I did however have to eat more carbs than I had originally planned out. One day I had a bowl of lemon butter orzo pasta with my YiaYia with a big salad. It was oh so good! I ate an apple every morning and drank water and I think that helped to keep me full too. Fiber helps for sure!
2. The no coffee-didn’t bother me one bit! I really didn’t have the urge for it I just drank more hot tea that week and I really didn’t miss it. To be clear there is nothing wrong with having a cup of coffee every morning and I am drinking one right now…..
3. I did weigh myself Monday morning and again Saturday morning and guess what…I weighed exactly the same to the oz.
4. I already have been eating better this week because of the habits I picked up last week. Last night I had these roasted potatoes and veggies (normally this would have been some onions and potatoes only-this has celery, carrots and peppers too)
I also put together these snack packs of sunflower and pepitas seeds, nuts and espresso beans:
Saturday for a mid day meal/snack I had Greek yogurt, bananas, coconut oats, cinnamon and unsweetened coconut flakes:
5. I have learned that I felt better last week because of all the added fruits and veggies in my daily meals/snacks. I had watermelon, grapefruit, oranges, apples, berries, peppers, tomatoes, onions, celery, carrots, cucumbers. Nothing crazy, just everyday fruits and veggies 🙂 Fruits and veggies alone are super filling! I think I used to think of them as an add on to something else but really they are enough on their own as snacks. Overall I learned that I can say I am going to do something (no meat and no coffee) and actually do it!! This is the hardest part: being willing to try something new and form new habits. Once you conquer that, especially new eating habits, the sky is the limit!! Keep changing, growing and getting better and better and better and better! I hope I have inspired you to just try to change your eating habits for 5 days and see what it is like. For you if it is cutting fast food and pop instead of coffee and meat like me then do it!! Start where you need to start as we are all at different points in our journey. You can do it. I know you can!