- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten (can substitute 2 of the eggs for 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed meal -if so beat 2 eggs and add 2 tsp of flaxseed meal to that mixture and let sit for 1 min)
- 1 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup 2 % or non fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons millet flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- dash of ground pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 avocado, chopped to serve with on the side
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in quinoa. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the grains are tender and reveal their spiraled germ, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, beans, cottage cheese, scallions, flour, baking powder, spices, broccoli and salt to the quinoa and stir until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about 1/4 cup each).
- Bake the cakes until puffed and a little brown on top, about 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Gently loosen and remove with a paring knife.
Makes 15 cakes
Serving size is 2! Yay!
These are packed full of nutrition!!!