Hey all, I wanted to share my recipe for pesto chicken lasagna that I made this weekend. I will try to break it down by each layer to make it pretty simple. It is chicken based so it is protein packed. I went easy on the cheeses and used some Greek yogurt to add moisture and flavor as well.
First: here is everything that I used in this picture. I had boiled and shredded the chicken the day before.
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms & white onion with some EVOO
- 1 15 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 or 4 medium chicken breast boiled and shredded
- 4 medium stem tomatoes sliced and salt & peppered
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 cups ricotta cheese & a blend of mozzarella, Gruyère & parmesan cheese….or whatever you have 😉 you don’t need that much
- Homemade pesto or a small jar (about 8 or 10 oz.)
- Lasagna noodles-I used 9/4 bottom then 3 and 3 for the next 2 layers
- Seasonings like parsley, red pepper flakes, oregano & basil, salt & pepper
Second: cook your mushrooms, onions and warm half of the already cooked chicken in a skillet for about 15 min on medium heat with a little bit of olive oil. Then add half of the pesto and season with parsley, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano to your liking. Meanwhile, boil your noodles according to package directions.
Third: pre-heat your oven to 350 & begin your assembly line by having your tomatoes sliced and ready, your spinach close by, noodles, the other half of the shredded chicken mixed with the rest of the pesto and the 1 cup of Greek yogurt. Your can of fire roasted tomatoes ready with the liquid (don’t drain) and your 2 cups of ricotta cheese along with the shredded cheese options near by.
- Coat your pan with a spray or whatever non-stick option you like
- Spread some fire roasted tomatoes and liquid on the bottom
- Place 4 lasagna noodles overlapping each other’s edges just a bit
- Place warm chicken & mushroom mixture on top
- Add a layer of ricotta cheese and shredded Gruyère cheese
- Then add a layer of spinach leaves and sliced tomatoes
- Top that with 3 more noodles
- Then the chicken, pesto and Greek yogurt mixture (this can be room temp)
- The rest of the ricotta cheese and the shredded parmesan cheese
- Another layer of spinach and sliced tomatoes
- Finish with 3 more noodles, the rest of the liquid and diced fire roasted tomatoes and shredded mozzarella cheese
Cover with foil and bake for 30 min in 350 degree oven, then remove foil and bake for another 25 to 30 min. Let cool for 30 min before cutting.
I hope you will try this and I really hope you enjoy it!