What you will need:
5 oz. can of tuna
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese (could sub with plain Greek yogurt)
1 tsp pesto
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp ground blk pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup total chopped cucumber and tomato
2 pita breads
What to do:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix ricotta cheese, tuna, lemon juice, olive oil, pesto, pepper and basil together in small bowl
3. Place pitas on baking pan in oven for about 7 to 10 min or until slightly crispy/toasted
4. Spread tuna mixture on warm pita and top with tomato and cucumber
5. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Makes 2 “pizzas” or 2 servings
Savory Chicken thighs-in the Dutch Oven!
If you have been following my blog or my Facebook page you would know that I got a Dutch Oven maybe a month ago (thanks mom-early Christmas present!!!) and I have used it at least 15 times since then because I am in LOVE with it! It makes things so easy, easy to throw everything in one pot, easy cooking process and easy clean up!!! I highly suggest you add one to your kitchen ASAP!
6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup dry Jasmine rice
2 cups water
2 tbsp. canola/olive oil
2 tsp tomato paste
1 small green pepper
1 med/large tomato
1 small Spanish onion
1 tbsp. minced garlic
Seasonings: red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon (some of each to your liking)
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
1. Lightly coat bottom of pot with canola/olive oil on stove on med heat
2. Chop tomato, green pepper and onion-place in pot
3. Add chicken thighs to pot…
4. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and cinnamon
5. Add 2 tsp. tomato paste and 1 tsp. minced garlic to bottom of pot and let simmer for a few min
6. Add 1/2 c dry rice and 2 cups of water.
Place in oven for 1.5 to 2 hours.
Chicken & Squash with Tomato Basil Pasta
You will need 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb chicken breast or tenders. Cook chicken w/ a little salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, paprika and lemon juice. Then set aside.
Cook the following in skillet over med heat for about 8 to 10 min while the water for the pasta is boiling:
2 c sliced yellow squash and zucchini
1/4 c chopped white onion
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
1tsp. light olive oil
2 tsp. lemon juice and a bit of zest
Cook pasta-I found these amazing tomato basil noodles by “Amish Wedding”-no preservatives, colors or salt in them AND 9 g of protein in each serving!
Add 2 c marinara sauce-I like “Mama Rosa” brand to the veggies. Also, add the chicken back in. Let it simmer on low together while the pasta is cooking for about 12 min.
Drain the pasta and then combine in skillet with everything else. Give it a toss and let them all become friends for a few min before serving.
Serve with green salad and make sure everyone is a member of the “Clean Plate Club”-that is what we do here at our house and how we encourage our 4 yr old to eat it all up-yes even that mushy squash he ate so he could be in the club!!